Topic : How to Disable Laptop Keyboard?
A laptop these days is one of the essential things that almost every homeowner owns. Some use them to do office work, and students work to complete their school and college assignments. But, if by chance you have spilled some liquid on your Laptop keyboard while working, then indeed you is looking for a fix as it is quite an expensive thing. Or you are desperate to clean your computer or laptop keyboard due to dust or debris, or it is not working fine, etc. Then in this regard, one thing you can do is you can disable the laptop keyboard. Read more about How to Disable Laptop Keyboard?
But, thankfully, doing it is so simple that it can be completed within no time. However, you will be surprised to know that while the keyboard is disabled and cleaning your keyboard, this whole process will not affect Windows. So, let’s discuss how you can disable the laptop keyboard to use an external keyboard.
- Disable the laptop keyboard using gpedit
With the help of this method, you will be able to disable the laptop keyboard permanently. But make sure you must do these below steps: –
- The first thing you have to do is detach the external keyboard from the computer. Now, press the Windows button + X key together and then select Device Manager from the menu.
- Now scroll down in the Device Manager and expand keyboards. Under this menu, click right on the Standard PS/2 keyboard and then click on Uninstall Device.
- Finally, your keyboard is disabled, but the keyboard will reinstall again if you restart the laptop.
However, if you want to disable the keyboard permanently, the user has to disable one feature that is an auto driver in Windows 10.
- Disabling a particular policy can also disable keyboard
- For this, the user has to press Windows key +R to get the run window
- When you get the Run window, you have to type ”gpedit. MSC. now click ok
- When the local group policy opened up on the laptop, try to expand the left section
- Finally, when you reached that location, see on the right hand and look for Prevent installation devices not described by other policy settings
- Right-click on it and then click on edit so that the user can modify the policy set
- In the window where ‘Prevent installation of devices not described by other policy setting’ click on Enabled
- If you want to save this setting, click on apply and then OK
- Use the device manager to disable the keyboard.
- First, press Windows key +R together so that Run will open
- Now, in that window, write sysdem. cpl and click OK
- After that, click on the Hardware tab
- Next, click on Device installation settings
- Now select No
- After that, click on save changes
However, if you want to re-enable the keyboard, select yes and restart the PC. All the keyboard drivers will be reinstalled.
- Disable the laptop keyboard with third-party applications
There are many applications on the internet that allow the user to disable their laptop keyboard on the Windows operating system. But of its kind and most trusted one is Key Freeze.
Key Freeze is one of the reputed applications when the point is of disabling the laptop keyboard. However, it will help the user disable the keyboard and the trackpad within no time with a straightforward installation process.
Apart from that, the best part of this application is that it can easily enable both features by just pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys.
Wrapping things up
Well, these are some of the options by which you can disable the laptop keyboard. But one thing you should keep in mind is all these ways to disable the laptop keyboard are for Windows 10. However, out of all the above methods disabling the keyboard via Device manager is the simplest and safest one.
Moreover, if you follow any of the above ways while going into the advanced setting, make sure you do it very carefully; otherwise, it will crash your PC. In addition to that, we have also mentioned third-party applications to disable the keyboard, which will disable both the devices. So, I hope you liked this article about how to disable a laptop keyboard safely. So this concludes the topic for How to Disable Laptop Keyboard?